Thursday, July 14, 2011

Homemade Playdough

It's Thursday!  As promised, I have a special kids craft to share with you again today.  This week we made homemade playdough!  It was a huge hit!  We used a salt recipe that I tore out of a magazine years ago.
It's 1 cup of salt, 1 cup of water, 2 cups of flour, 1 tbsp of cooking oil and a few drops of food coloring mixed together.  Super easy but let me warn you that it it can be messy.  I ended up telling them it was outside playdough and made them take it outside because of the mess!  Our favorite playdough to make is pumpkin pie playdough but it was too hot to turn on the stove for that one.  There are a ton of play dough recipes online!  Check them out for a great afternoon craft that will keep them busy for hours!


While we were working on playdough, the Baby Monster attacked my craft space.  She found the girls bag of scraps and dumped them on the hallway floor.  Isn't it a beautiful mess!  The girls took this as an invitation to make a few quick cards!

Here are a few cards they came up with!  Don't you love the bunnies?

Thanks for stopping by today and have fun crafting with your kids!!

15 comments:

JulieK said...

Cute card! (they really are cards!) Looks like a fun day! I wish blogger had a chat function (because I know you're on her right now!) - wouldn't that be fun!

Mommy's Crafty Creations said...

Thank for sharing the recipe. oh and the cards a great....love them all!

Veronica
mommyscraftycreations.blogspot.com

Glora said...

Perfect activity for the kids. I love it, I need to do that. And their cards are so cute too. I LOVE that they like to create too. Hugs- Glora

Kate said...

LOL Way to Adorable. Great way to use the scraps.

Hugs
Kate

Jayne said...

It all looks like so much fun! Didn't they do an amazing job with their cards.TFS

Rachel said...

My preschool class would always love making their own playdough and picking the colors they wanted it to be. Looks like your girls loved it! And yes, that is the prettiest mess I certainly have ever seen

-rwk
rwkrafts.blogspot.com

Amy said...

How fun is this! Your little girls look like they are having the best time- little crafters in the making! :)Amy

Dr Sonia S V said...

Amber good you asked them to play outside. Mine used to stuff the homemade playdough into all sorts of places and after days only the stink would alert me!!!

Unknown said...

Awesome! It's so great to see that you and your kids have so much fun being creative together :)

Amy said...

Very cute creations they came up with! The playdough looks like a lot of fun! :)
Amy
redheadedcrafter.blogspot.com

Sherrie K. said...

Aaaw, how stinken cute is this:) I soooo miss those days with my little stinkers. It is so cool how you share your crafty passion with them. I am sure they LOVE to do arts and crafts...my daughter sure did! Enjoy them and thanks for sharing your play dough/craft day with us:)
Sherrie K
http://sherriescraps.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

What a lot of fun!! The girls are making wonderful memories. Their cards are beautiful. Hugs, Pam at http://craftycards4u2.blogspot.com/

Kate said...

It looks as though you and the girls had F-U-N!! What a great lot of cards, too! I especially like the hand drawn sun card.
Thanks for your comment on my blog. I am exhausted with my studies but today marks the halfway point!!

sskeen said...

Love the look you're getting from Eva Sophia!!! It says, "I did it, but I'm not gonna tell."

Cely said...

LOL! This is sooo super cute! Wish I had little girlies running around to make some cards with me!